Testing of 3MVA liquid transformer before being moved?

What is the opinion of testing 3MVA liquid xfmr before being moved?

We’re performing PI, TTR, PF, and WR.

I’ve always been in the practice of trying to perform tests after it’s been set, but the xfmr is already on site, so it’s just going to be lifted and set in place.

1 Like

Looks like a solid plan. Its always a good idea to test if you can. Someone is going to be liable if there is an issue later on.

With that said, how far is it going? Its easy to think nothing can go wrong but anything can happen. Even something simple like a bushing getting cracked from a strap can be bad news.

Well, I just recently found out we won’t have time to disassemble the old one and do full tests on the replacement beforehand.

Maybe just a quick TTR and short meg to be safe? We’re directly under the manufacturer with this, so that will take a lot of the finger pointing game out of it if any issues preside, and we don’t test it at all beforehand.

I’m not 100% if the new unit is set where the old one is, or if it’s just off site as of yet… All I’ve received on that is that it is “on site”.

1 Like

SFRA before the move and again after its in place.
also as we have a liquid transformer, oil tests DGA, moisture etc would be beneficial (if you don’t know already)

2 Likes

How far of a distance was the transformer moved? Did it travel on any major roads? Was it moved from a close location within the same campus? I have so many questions.

Generally speaking, it’s good practice to test before and after. But sometimes the job dictates what you do.

1 Like