RTS Meter Test for SEL-851

TL;DR:
Does anyone know where the error is in EnoServ’s code for the meter test for an SEL-851 in RTS?
Longer Explanation:
First time testing an SEL-851 Feeder Protection Relay. Element testing is easy, the customer is only using a single element each for 51P and 51N. My problem is with the meter test. I know my connections are correct because I can use manual control to push voltages and currents to the relay and it reads exactly what I would expect for magnitude and angle. I am certain there is an error in EnoServ’s code on the Parameters tab of the Meter Test, I just can’t find what it is.

Code Snippets:
I found an error right off the bat because it completely tanked the meter test.

CTR=CTP.RAT
PTR=VTP.RAT

IM$ = "Magnitude (A""
MW$ = "(kW)"
MV$ = "(kVAR)"

Which I corrected to:

CTR=CTP.RAT
PTR=VTP.RAT

IM$ = "Magnitude (A)"
MW$ = "(kW)"
MV$ = "(kVAR)"

This got the meter test to actually run instead of erroring out, but now the results of RTS reading the METER.TXT file are all zeros for the current, zero for PhA and PhB Voltage, and the actual value for PhC Voltage.
To state it again, I can use manual control from RTS to push the same voltage & current as the meter test and the front panel of the relay displays the expected values of current, voltage, MW, MVAR, and MVA. Thus, the connects are correct, the test set puts out the correct values, the relay sees the correct values, but RTS is somehow failing to read the METER.TXT file correctly.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I am of no use here. I’m familiar with Doble’s Protection Suite. I’ve never used EnoServ

1 Like

My workaround was to set the the auto/manual testing variable “SEL_AUTO” to 0 so the meter test would turn on and wait for me to manually enter the data before turning off, thus skipping the automated METER.TXT file read function. The results are within 1% of the expected, so it’s definitely EnoServ’s coding that is the problem.

I just really dislike that the whole selling point of RTS is that it makes testing easier and more expedient because “Everything’s Automated!”, yet what really happens is relay testers have to learn rudimentary coding to fix all EnoServ’s F*ups in the data extraction coding.

2 Likes

Also, I prefer Protection Suite to RTS. RTS just turns techs into Button Monkeys.

Thanks for posting your workaround. I haven’t used RTS in several years but this could be helpful in the future.

Nice. Glad you got a workaround. These are the things that make up the fundamentals of a great test tech - problem solving! Nice work.

1 Like