NETA Level 3 (2023) Resting Advice

I recently took and failed the NETA 3 test with a score of 391. I believe i know where my weakest areas were when taking the test. I struggled with accurately reading and interpreting the print questions, there was about 15 that I counted, as well as the 4 commissioning questions I had. What is a good source of reference material for brushing up on these areas? Specifically, the prints as I believe that is truly my weakest area. As far as commissioning goes, I know that NETA has the ECS for commissioning, but I have never actually seen a physical copy of this book, nor do I know how to obtain it. Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Good morning @rsgordineer

As far as obtaining the NETA ECS, you can obtain it from www.netaworld.org in their book store. It’s not cheap, maybe a few hundred dollars. The company you work for should be able to buy a PDF version of it.

As far as “prints” are concerned, are you referring to electrical drawings and schematics?

2 Likes

Both. I understand there is difference between one-line drawings, three-lines drawings, ladder, schematic, and actual wiring diagrams. The struggle I have is being able to quickly and accurately decipher relevant information from them.

1 Like

So this skill comes over time. The more you look at them, the better you are at deciphering information from them. You should make it a point to look at every single switchgear drawing you can when you are performing any acceptance testing. If you’re working with someone, ask them to provide the drawings. And you need to look at drawings specific to distribution systems, riser diagrams, switchgear schematics, breaker schematics, etc. Looking at general electrical construction drawings or residential drawings have nothing to offer.

3 Likes

Thanks bud I appreciate it.

2 Likes

As @ElectricalTestTech stated, you can get the Commissioning standards directly from NETA in hard copy or PDF form but it can be expensive. Sometimes you can find older copies selling on websites like eBay for a bit less.

When it comes to electrical drawings, try and get your hands on as many as you can. One-line and riser diagrams are good to start but also try and get some switchgear control drawings for a good challenge.

Try searching for “electrical drawing filetype:pdf” on Google, see what you might come up with. Many times you can find government websites that have project bid packages available for download that contain drawings.

One thing that will help you learn is re-draw the diagrams by hand and highlight the completed portions on the original as you go. This will really help you focus on each component. You might want to also review these references on TestGuy:

3 Likes

Message me Dolph if you need more 1-lines and 3-lines to look over and sharpen up on.

1 Like